2019 Charleston Gaillard Center’s Education Initiative and Spectra Present
A week long culinary camp
Led by our own Chef Frank Halasz and Sous Chef Jamin Wilson
July 22-26, 2019
9AM – NOON
Camp Registration: $150
Class will be supplied aprons and hats.
- Safety: proper knife handling and cutting skills (ex.: basic cuts)
- Cutting board colors and what are the uses for each
- Sanitation: proper use of gloves and use of chemical sanitizer
- Tour of kitchen area: equipment and their uses
Start your day with breakfast!
- Scrambled Eggs and Omelets: prepare properly cooked scrambled eggs and learn the proper way to cook an omelet with assorted toppings (both protein and vegetable).
- Pancakes: prepare made from scratch buttermilk pancakes
- Yogurt Parfaits: create “build your own parfait,” with homemade granola, berries, and Greek yogurt
Class will learn the basics of preparing vegetables, from properly washing to applying various cooking techniques:
- Peeling and washing
- Roasting carrots, zucchini, and yellow squash
- Grilling and sautéing asparagus and Baby French beans
Class will prepare one specialty salad using various ingredients and artisan greens. Class will learn to prepare a made from scratch ranch dressing.
- Burger Sliders: prepare grilled or pan seared burgers and build sliders with assorted creative toppings
- Best Chicken Tenders: brine chicken, set up a basic breading, and learn to properly fry chicken to correct, safe temperature.
- Hummus Made from Scratch and Pita Chips: make hummus from scratch, fry pita chips, and season.
- Homemade Fettuccine: make fresh pasta, use a pasta machine to roll out dough, and use the cutter to make fettuccine.
- Alfredo Sauce: make a quick Alfredo sauce.
- Grilled Chicken: prepare a basic marinate and properly grill a chicken.
- Chocolate Chip Cookies: make the all time favorite, including rolling, cutting, and baking.
- Key Lime Pie: create this old-time, southern favorite.
- Chocolate dipped strawberries: Learn to properly temper chocolate and the “do’s” and “don’ts” of working with chocolate and decorating the berries for a more visually appealing look.