As part of the Gaillard Center’s nonprofit mission, the Gaillard Center seeks to provide educational opportunities for all ages, including those pursuing higher education. The Gaillard Center’s Internship Program provides college students considering careers in arts administration the unique opportunity to gain real-world experience operating a world-class performing arts venue. Internships are offered during the Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters to current college students for experience and academic credit.
Applications for the Spring 2022 Marketing Internship are closed. Please check back in mid-April for an update on Summer 2022 internships.
Title: Marketing Intern
Reports to: Marketing Manager
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
Hours: 10 hours per week, Monday through Friday from September to December. Occasional weekends and evenings may be required. Regularly scheduled intern hours will be up to the discretion of the intern supervisor.
Organization Background: The Charleston Gaillard Center is an 1,800-seat performance hall located in Charleston, South Carolina. The newly constructed facility also contains 16,000 square feet of exhibit and meeting space, along with office and public spaces. The Charleston Gaillard Management Corporation is a non-profit 501c3 organization responsible for managing the facility. The Gaillard Center’s mission is to provide the Lowcountry with a world-class performance hall, elegant venue space, and vibrant educational opportunities inspiring our dynamic community through the power of the performing arts. We seek to enrich the diverse community of Charleston with artistic and cultural experiences that are accessible and unique, and to serve as an education resource for generations to come. For more information about the Charleston Gaillard Center, please visit https://www.gaillardcenter.org.
Position Summary: The Marketing Intern will assist the Gaillard’s Marketing team with various marketing tasks and projects as assigned throughout the course of the internship. Assignments and tasks vary based on the scope of upcoming events and current needs of department.
• Update external events calendars with Gaillard Center upcoming events
• Craft social media plans and write copy for social posts
• Assist with coordination of show announcements, including monitoring email schedules, creating Facebook events, distributing press releases, etc.
• Research and maintain a database of prospective corporate advertisers and local vendors
• Assist with pre-show and post-show events such as meet & greets and member lounge when needed as well as represent the Gaillard Center at select external events
• Assist in creation of internal signage and marketing materials
• Proof and edit various marketing materials
• Assist with mailings, print production, and distribution of marketing materials
• Deliver and post event flyers to college campus and local businesses (both downtown and off the peninsula)
• Assist with filings, organizing, and maintaining sales documents as needed
Objectives of Internship:
• Acquire a broad understanding of various aspects of arts marketing, including media and public relations, advertising, and social media
• Observe how a professional nonprofit organization is operated and gain knowledge of the differences in marketing approaches with nonprofit organizations
• Learn the different methods of selling and advertising as well as understand the selling procedure from prospecting for new clients to closing a sale
• Understand the differences and effectiveness of advertising in print, radio, television, digital, and social media
• Gain awareness of the Gaillard’s brand as it relates to the mission of the organization
• Earned or pursuing Bachelor’s Degree in marketing, arts management, business, or a related field
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills
• Attention to detail and organizational skills
• Ability to work independently on multiple projects
• Basic knowledge of Microsoft Powerpoint, Word, and Excel required
• Experience in Adobe Creative Suite a plus
• Strong working knowledge of various social media platforms
Compensation: Paid stipend of $500 upon successful completion of internship OR college credit.
To Apply: Please send resume, cover letter, and filled-out application here to Sarah Cochrane at email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and applicants will be notified if selected for interview. Please no phone calls.
“I loved my time at the Gaillard, from the welcoming staff to the amazing events, I felt right at home. Being able to be given so much responsibility and learn so many aspects of the organization, I feel I can take away more than I ever expected here at the Gaillard Center. Thank you GMC for all you have done for me!”Mikayla C. Marketing Intern, Summer 2017
“Interning at the Gaillard Center helped me launch my career in the arts sector! My supervisor and team worked closely with me to ensure that I gained the knowledge and experience that can only be taught in the field.”Victoria B. Production Intern, Spring 2017
“Interning with the Gaillard Center was the best decision I made as an arts management major! It provided me with the opportunity to witness the establishment of a brand new non-profit organization, and experience first-hand how a world-class performing arts center is operated. After my internship, I began working for the Gaillard full-time, and since then, have gained invaluable experience in ticketing, development, and marketing.””Katie R. Marketing Intern, Spring 2015